Wednesday 6 April 2011

This is me in my old studio at Georgia and Jackson. Behind me is this fantastic front display window from when the space had been a butcher shop - I can't believe none of us ever took advantage of it to make elaborate installations... but who had the time??

And that clunky, old loom. What to do about that loom? It's a 45 inch Leclerc with bent heddles and unbalanced shafts. It was given to me by a veteran senior's home out in Burnaby - it's probably at least 50 years old and has been used to weave hundreds of yards of cloth, mostly by men who served in WWII. Mostly by men who were heroes, and who are dead or really old by now - which makes it difficult for me to pass it on. I feel the pressure of that legacy! But fact is, it's just too big for my studio and since I only weave scarves on it, there's no sense in having a loom that wide. Maybe I'll meet a beginner rug weaver - any out there looking for a loom?

No comments:

Post a Comment